top of page
  • Writer's picturesri venkateswara charitable trust

Mylapore E-1 Police Station is 121 years old



Mylapore E-1 Police Station on Kutchery Road celebrated its

121 st birthday on Nov 13.

The proof of its age is a stone inscription at the entrance of the

station which says Oswald Routh Jones, former Madras police

Commissioner, laid the foundation for the police station in

1902.

It’s one of the oldest police stations in Chennai established

during the British Raj. It covers the entire stretch of Mylapore

till up to the Queen Mary’s College and Gandhi Statue on one

end and R K Math Road.

The building houses the office of the Deputy Commissioner of

Police, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Inspectors and All

Women Police Station (AWPS). Postings to this station are very

selective as the residences of the Chief Minister M K Stalin and

the convoy route to the Secretariat, ministers and judges

residences in Greenways Road and even the apartment of

present Commissioner of Greater Chennai City Police falls

under this Mylapore Zone.

The presence of Sri Kapaleeswarar temple, Sri Vellieswarar

temple, St Thomas Church and other religious places of

worship and their annual festivities are managed by the staff of

the zone. Mylapore Police District shot into fame during the


tenure of Balakrishnan Velaiah as Deputy Commissioner who is

probably one of the longest-serving DCs in Mylapore

He managed to set up a library where residents can sit at the

reception and read a variety of books donated by well wishers.

It was not merely to promote reading books among the

residents but to welcome the public inside the police station

without any fear

댓글


Top Stories

bottom of page